Thursday, February 24, 2005

Germ central update

Well, Ryan had a thrill this week, he was lucky enough to go to work with me on Tuesday. He wasn't ready to go back to school yet, his breathing just wasn't up to par yet, and with my In-laws still being in Texas , I don't have a sitter in the afternoon, but I was tired of missing work. So I went in at 4 instead of noon as I usually do. Nancy leaves at 4, So I just worked 4-6. I'm lucky my boss is pretty understanding. I brought some DVD's with me, so he could watch movies on the office portable DVD player (used mostly for patient education) and then he had his Leapster and gameboy, he enjoyed drawing me pictures and writing names and our phone number instead, and then photo-copied them all. Needless to say, everytime a patient came up to counter or front desk, Ryan had to be the center of attention ( story of his life with me, not always a good thing) Luckly Doug got there by 5:30 to pick him up. Brad went to Camp Blackhawk so Doug picked him up there. Then I got home at 6:40 and had a Tastefully Simple party to go to at 7:00, I had to pick up our neighbor Stefanie too. So I was home long enough to change and then off to the party. I got home from the party around 10pm . Doug was laying in bed, all covered up, he also had a T-shirt on ( sign that he doesn't feel well ) He said he got the chills really bad and couldn't stop shaking for about 45 min. When that happened he climed in bed. He said Ryan got really quiet and when he went to check on him just before 9pm, Ryan had already climbed in bed and was sound asleep. Brad had pretty much laid in bed most of the evening too, he also was again not feeling very well. So anyway, I took Dougs temp when I got home and he was just over 102.. So I got him advil every 4 hours all night... I was up with him as much as I am with the kids. Lucky for me, I had to work on Wednesday, and Doug stayed home from work and Brad and Ryan were both home from school. I was REALLY happy I had to work. Today Doug was feeling better and he's off to work, then Brad was all ready for the bus, and it flew past the house 3 minutes early so I had to take him and Ryan will also be going back to school today. Although, he won't be going outside to play yet, too cold for his lungs... I'm really hoping things will get better!!

Well, I started this post last week, so I guess I will just add on at this point.(Its' Monday Feb 26) The snow is again back, We are under a winter storm warning, it's supposed to get pretty nasty tonight and tomorrow. I am really hoping there isnt' a snow day tomorrow, that really messes up my working!! Ryan will still be staying in for recess at least for the next few days, we don't want to get the wheezing going again. He's still on his steriods and neb treatments, and it's working, so we are going to keep it that way! Surprisingly, he is okay with that ( he wouldn't have a choice anyway). I can't belive how much snow is falling right now! I can't even see the highway from my window, and it's coming straight down. It sort of looks like the slippery fine snow at this point.
My In-laws may be home a week from Thursday. My Father-In-Law has a Dr.s appt on March 10th, so they plan on being home for that, we'll see if he actually keeps the appt. It is with the Dr. that's been working with him and meds for his heart issues. I guess he's got some blockages, but they are going to manage it with medications.
A week from tomorrow Ladder 49 comes out on DVD , I think Doug is wanting to plan a party to watch it with fellow firefighters. My sister doesn't think I need to watch it. ( Must mean firemen die) She also said I would need a box of tissues handy if I do watch it. I do worry about Doug when he's at a fire, but I also know he doesn't go into high rise buildings like they do in the big cities. But I also know it can get pretty scary in there. The last fire he was at, he was in the upstairs, and there was so much smoke all he could do to see was follow the hose on the floor to get out, he also said it was really hot. I sometimes don't like to hear that stuff, but his adrenaline is really flowing when he gets home from a fire. He loves being a fireman. Fennvilles FD gets a little upset when they go for mutual assistance with other dept. and those depts don't go into a burning building, they just stand outside spraying the hose. There is less of a chance to save the building if you don't go get the fire at the source.... Fennville prefers to save whatever is burning whenever possible. They will also start hauling out belongings to save them also. They are just good guys doing an amazing thing! Thank you to all who risk your lives for others!

No comments: