Sunday, March 13, 2005

Pancakes...

Fennville Area Fire Dept. ( FAFD) just had thier last pancake breakfast of the season, that's a sure sign spring is on the way. Mrs. Lohman ( Bradley's Kindergarten teacher sub for 1/2 of the year and fellow fireman's Mom) asked if I thought Doug would be home once in awhile now, I said, Doubtful! ha ha He practically lives at the Fire Station, That is also probably the reason Doug got Fireman of the Year in the Dept. last year too, his dedication. Some of the guys have asked if it bothers me that Doug sleeps fully clothed in his truck in the garage all the time... They seem to think he does that because he's always first one to the station when they get a call. The funny thing is, one time he got a call, he jumped out of bed, not sure how anyone can get dressed so fast.. and was out in the garage in a flash, needless to say, they had to disregard the call, and in the house he came. He seriously did not remember being out in the garage. How scary is that?? Another time, I put his shoes in the closet at the door, and so he couldn't find them ( typical of any male in this house when I put somthing away, they think it's lost) So he showed up with just his socks on, the guys got a pretty good laugh about that too. He was still, first on there. I bought Ladder 49 on DVD friday and we watched it that night. I'd have to say it was a really good movie, but pretty emotional. I had a tough time holding it together at the end. I do know that difference between being a big city fireman full time and being in a small area, but it's still scary, when you think about what these guys do. Doug will sometimes come home with stories about not being able to see anything, it was so pitch black in a burning house , or about how hot the fire was and the flames were going over thier heads.... I don't really seem to like these stories, but Doug just loves the exhileration from it, so I listen and support what he does. I have learned not to listen to the scanner while he's on a call, I don't want to hear about somthing bad happening. In parts of the movie one of the fireman would wander off somewhere alone, he said that would NEVER happen , so that made me happy... At least I could greive with someone elses wife..... It is a scary thing these guys do, but where would we be without them? My boys think it's the coolest that thier dad is a Fireman... They brag to thier friends about it. I'd have to say, I'm proud of my Fireman too. And I would never stand in his way of doing somthing he loves. He plans to take his officers classes in the fall, and he is also hopeful of someday being an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. His dream would to be full time on a fire dept. Years of putting in his dues where he is, more classes and lots of training may someday pay off... it's never too late, and I would never stand in his way, no matter how scared it would make me.
On to something more upbeat.. Did I mention the sun is shining?? it's gorgeous.. and only 22 degrees. I am thinking of taking the kids to see the movie Robots. Ryan woke up Friday morning after being sick and home from school all week, and said, It's Friday March 11, Robots is in Theaters!! He had color in his face a the sparkle in his eyes and his fever was gone. ( I told him he had to be better to go see it ) So I think it would be a fun surprise to take them to see it. Doug won't be home from the FD until after noon and then he'll just take a nap, so why hang around for all that excitement??

No comments: