I guess I can say something now that things have moved along further. There have been a lot of transitions going on at work. My boss ( for the past 20 years ) is selling his practice. A Dr. and his staff are buying it. Dr. Cassell will be there on Monday's and Thursdays, and Dr. Meyer will be there on Wednesday and Fridays. This has been tough, not knowing what will happen with our jobs, hours ect. Today we had our interviews. It will be a staff driven practice, which means the Dentist does dentistry and the staff does everything else. We have a "CEO" as she calls herself, Deb. and we'll have 2 "team leaders" which have also not been in dentistry very long. Shelley will be our clinical team leader and Becca will be our front office team leader. My job has changed. I will be the "bull pen" which is someone that can do front desk and clinical and keeps the practice moving and running smoothly all day. I have gained a day I will work 4 days a week. 32 hours. I have also taken a $4 per hour pay cut... but they have a production bonus plan. Deb thinks that we can double our production in the first 6 months ( pretty ambitious) But that would boost my salary ( if looking at it hourly ) past where I am now. We had a choice, either opt. in to the bonus system now, or keep our hourly salaries and buy into it later when the base for the bonus is higher. I opted to buy in now at the low base since that is where we are now. For me it was a no brain-er, I realize I will be working one extra day a week, but without any type of bonus, I will be making $8 more per week... I looked at it from the growth angle... I hope I was right. In October, we will be flying to Phoenix AZ for training for 5 days. I told Deb my sister lives there, she said I could meet her for dinner one night. I'm going to have a lot to learn and I'm going to be very busy, but for me right now I think it's a good thing. In about 2 years down the road if I'm not happy or I don't want so many hours, I will look elsewhere , but technically, I shouldn't be in a position where I'll have to work to make ends meet, that's our goal. If I'm really happy and loving my job, we'll have a nice savings account ;-)
On the job front, Doug's new ( from May ) job is going well, he really seems to like it. He works on commission but still seems to get a minimum of 45 hours on a slow week. He can also pick and choose how many hours he gets paid for a week, depending on the jobs he's got going. If he's got a lot of hours in for the week, but they know the next week will be light, he will carry over the hours. This week was a huge week for him, so he took 45 hours and he'll have about 50 hours on next weeks paycheck, which is good, since he's off all next week for Boy Scout Camp and it's not a paid vacation, so he worked it out and has such a good week, he'll still have a normal paycheck. He really likes all the people he works with. The head honchos as he calls them, were all big into scouts back in their day, so they think it's great Doug's so involved with Bradley.
I am also currently researching dishwashers, it's time for a new one, and I"m trying to find the best one, with all the options I want at a great price....
And speaking of appliances, my oven's not been working for the past year or so, but in the last 2/3 months the baking element completely quit, so I finally found the element and ordered one. I fixed it all by myself yesterday, the oven gets so hot so fast!! I can actually bake again! I tried to make cookies the other day and they were burnt on the top and doughy on the bottom. My grocery list is going to consist of bake-able stuff! ;-)
Guess that's all my updates for now.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds as though you will have your hands full. It should be interesting. We are back in MI next weekend for a week. This time in Boyne Falls with Jeff and Mary. Probably not in Holland or Fennville.
Post a Comment