Sunday, June 08, 2008

A weather man's dream

Wow, terrible storms went through here last night. Holland/Zeeland got the brunt of it , but it just kept coming for hours... torrential downpours, intense lightening... tornado warnings... We were at a going away party for a couple foreign exchange students and we were out in a garage (moved from outside) and it was lightening and thundering and raining, I had 1 kid and a spare who was going to stay the night with us at one house across the lawn and my little one in the house where we were, when the tornado warning siren went off, Brad came running and left Vincent, Ryan was in a basement... a Michigan basement, I had one kid next to me , we couldn't get to the basement and I had the other kid I was responsible for, not with us... I was NOT happy. As some of you know, I'm really not a big fan of storms, I can at least say "Tornado" now, and I try to put on a brave face for the kids. Doug was out on a wrecker call with Dave. By the time the siren stopped, I'd had enough, I just wanted to go home to my house with all the kids in our own basement. Then I realized, Doug had the car keys... Denise said she'd take us home, cuz she was ready to go too , her daughter Sarah was crying, Ryan was crying.. we were out of there. As we're getting to her Tahoe I quick ran to the car and got my phone, Becky was on it, seeing if Vince wanted to stay with us, or go home, he wanted to go home, they ended up going to her parents house with a basement, she called often to see if I had updates, we had the scanner that would tell me of funnel clouds, since the fire dept was out spotting.... On our way to the house, Doug called me and said Denise the kids and I were to get to our house quickly and into the basement and stay there... They saw the clouds and they were not all moving the same direction.. Doug and Dave were a little stressed, and that's ' not like them, they love storms. It finally calmed down enough for the Johnson's to make their way home after 11:30pm, It continued to storm until after 3:30 this morning. The pool overflowed. We had Ryan in bed with us, and Bradley slept on our floor at the end of the bed. Doug got a call about a washed out road about 4:30am to assist Saugatuck on, he just called a bit ago, a car went with the road and they had to do body recoveries, that's about all I know so far, he's still not home. We are still under a flood warning, the sun is shining and our heat index is already almost to 80, and severe storms are forcasted for tonight again.....

No comments: